28th SEPTEMBER 2019
C in MBCT
With Ruth Baer
The workshop will offer opportunities for participants to explore, both through experience and through discussion, how the integration of a cognitive conceptual framework with intensive training in mindfulness meditation helps participants in MBCT classes to respond kindly and wisely to distress, and how it addresses key processes that create vulnerability to depression and contribute to the persistence of low mood.
WHAT IS THE MASTERCLASS ABOUT?
Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT) represents an integration between two very different traditions: the eastern tradition of insight meditation, founded in Buddhism, and the more recent western tradition of cognitive and clinical science. In order to become MBCT teachers, we need to understand, appreciate and respect the contributions of both traditions.
This workshop invites participants to explore the “C” side of MBCT. What exactly is the cognitive understanding of human distress that underlies both cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) and MBCT? What are the intentions of the two approaches? What are the differences between CBT and MBCT? And what do they have in common?
The workshop will be both interactive and experiential. It will offer opportunities for participants to explore, both through experience and through discussion, how the integration of a cognitive conceptual framework with intensive training in mindfulness meditation helps participants in MBCT classes to respond kindly and wisely to distress, and how it addresses key processes that create vulnerability to depression and contribute to the persistence of low mood.
WHO IS IT FOR?
You are eligible for this training day if:
• You are actively working on the OMC’s MBCT teacher training pathway and have completed any of the modules, for example: an MBCT course as a participant, a silent retreat, or training days devoted to practice teaching in pairs or groups.
• You are a mindfulness teacher who is already teaching mindfulness-based interventions and you wish to increase your knowledge of these topics.
Who am I?
I’m a clinical psychologist, recently retired from a career as a professor of psychology at the University of Kentucky and very pleased to be working at the OMC. My interests in mindfulness include research, teaching, training, supervision, and practice. I enjoy taking a broad perspective, and so I’ve studied a wide range of mindfulness-based interventions, including MBCT and MBSR as well as DBT, ACT, and MBRP. Much of my work focuses on the conceptualization and assessment of mindfulness, effects of mindfulness-based programs, mechanisms of change, and professional training and ethics in the mindfulness field.
What do I do?
At the OMC I work with the MBCT teacher training pathway and collaborate on manuscripts based on the data coming in from the MYRIAD project. I also teach mindfulness courses and work with competency assessment.
Why I love working at the OMC
The OMC is an international leader in mindfulness research, teaching, and training, and is at the forefront of discussions that are critical to the development of the field. I had the great good fortune to spend academic year 2015-16 on sabbatical at the OMC and fell in love with the warm and welcoming community of friends and colleagues doing fascinating and important work. For someone with my interests, it’s the ideal place to be.
The masterclass will be taught in English with no translation into Portuguese.
Fundação Cupertino de Miranda
Av. da Boavista 4245, 4100-140 Porto, Portugal
One Day: 9.30am - 5.30pm
Tuition: 140€ + VAT (23%) = 172,20€
Lunch & refreshments: 30,75€ (VAT Incl) to be paid on the day of the Masterclass directly at the venue. If you prefer you can have the refreshments without lunch We advise that meals are taken at the venue as there is only one coffee shop and a highly priced restaurant in the area and it is an opportunity for you to socialize with the group.
Lunch: Vegetarian Buffett - 19,50 euros (VAT Incl)
Refreshments: At Check In (coffee, tea, water, juices and selection of fresh fruit), mid-morning (coffee, tea, water, juices, biscuits and mini sandwichs) and mid-afternoon (coffee, tea, water, juices, mini sandiwchs and selection of portuguese pastries) - 11,25 euros (VAT Incl)
Note: If you wish to register in all 6 Masterclasses the total amount to be paid is 1131,60 Euros (VAT Incl). Lunch & refreshments at venue will have a total cost of 184,50 euros.
The number of places is limited, so we advise you register as soon as possible. Please support us by booking early to help us understand the demands and viability.
To register for the masterclass:
- Make the payment of the value of the masterclass: 172,20€ (fully refunded if we cancel or change the date).
- Payment can be completed bank transference using the:
IBAN: PT50 0035 0158 00018441030 71
BIC SWIFT: CGDIPTPL
BANK: CAIXA GERAL DE DEPÓSITOS (CGD)
(for international bank transferences you may need extra information than that provided above. Please get in touch with us via email to email@example.com to obtain this information. Thank you.
- Complete the Application Form available here
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name and date of the event you want to register, the completed registration form, the bank statement proof of payment and your certifcates showing your professional training in MBCT, MBSR or another mindfulness-based intervention program and your contact number to include in your registration.
On the first day you will have to pay lunch and refreshments directly at the venue of the masterclass for a total cost of 30,75€.
After receiving your email we will send you a reply confirming your place with information relating to the event. If you don't receive our reply please contact us.
- If you cancel up to the 1st August 2019 you will receive a full reimbursement of the retreat minus an administration fee of 50 euros plus fee for the international bank transference.
- After 1st August 2019 there will be no reimbursements for cancellations
- If the event is cancelled due to an unexpected reason, Ser Integral: Centro Português de Mindfulness, will provide a reimbursement of 100% of the value paid for the masterclass, however we will not be responsible for any other costs (i.e., travelling and accommodation) associated with your participation in the retreat.
- We recommend that flights are booked after confirmation that we have reached the minimum number of registrations to open the masterclass which will be on 1st August 2019 (until then we reserve the right to cancel or postpone if the course does not reach minimum numbers).
Ser Integral: Portuguese Center for Mindfulness established a collaboration with the group HF Hotels in Porto that will be offering 10% discount on the best available rate at the time of your reservation. You will have 4 hotels available to make your reservation - HP Ipanema Park, HP Ipanema Porto, HP Tuela Porto and HP Fénix Porto. To get access to this discount please book your room using the link: https://foundationmasterclasses.hfhotels.com/