25th SEPTEMBER 2019
Introduction to Buddhist Psychology
With Chris Cullen
9.30 AM – 5.30PM
This Masterclass will examine the nature of human distress, to which Mindfulness is directed, and the aetiology of this distress together with a close examination of the self as a process rather than as something fixed, and why this important to understanding MBCT in the contemporary world.
WHAT IS THE MASTERCLASS ABOUT?
Mindfulness is clearly acknowledged to have its roots in the foundational Buddhist tradition that stretches back two and a half thousand years. Yet, we may ask, what can this foundational tradition add to our current understanding of MBCT founded, as it is, in contemporary understandings within neuroscience and cognitive psychology? Nevertheless, when we begin to examine this two and a half thousand-year-old tradition it presents us with a highly nuanced psychological understanding of what mindfulness is, how it functions and what it means to be a flourishing human being that is highly congruent with many of the contemporary approaches.
Within this Masterclass, we will examine the nature of human distress, to which Mindfulness is directed, and the aetiology of this distress together with a close examination of the self as a process rather than as something fixed, and why this important to understanding MBCT in the contemporary world.
WHO IS IT FOR?
You are eligible for this training day if:
• You are actively working on the OMC’s MBCT teacher training pathway and have completed any of the modules, for example: an MBCT course as a participant, a silent retreat, or training days devoted to practice teaching in pairs or groups.
• You are a mindfulness teacher who is already teaching mindfulness-based interventions and you wish to increase your knowledge of these topics.
• Open general public interested in the subject of Buddhist Psychology
Who am I?
I work part-time as an MBCT teacher and trainer for the OMC. I also teach Insight Meditation retreats in the UK, US and mainland Europe, and have a psychotherapy practice in Oxford.
What do I do?
For the OMC, I assist with planning and teaching the annual Summer School, run the programmes of Mindfulness courses in Parliament and for students within Oxford University, and contribute to various trainings and masterclasses for mindfulness teachers.
Why I love working at the OMC
It’s a privilege and pleasure to be part of a community with such good-hearted, talented, professional colleagues.
I’m inspired by the potential of MBCT, with its integration of contemporary science and ancient wisdom, to enhance and transform lives in the UK and abroad. It’s exciting to be part of a team committed to this through research and high-quality programmes.
The masterclass will be taught in English with no translation into Portuguese.
Ser Integral: Portuguese Center for Mindfulness
Rua Álvares Cabral, 50
One Day: 9.30am - 5.30pm
Tuition: 140€ + VAT (23%) = 172,20€
Lunch & refreshments: informations will be provided when you register.
Note: If you wish to register in all 6 Masterclasses the total amount to be paid is 1131,60 Euros (VAT Incl).
The number of places is limited, so we advise you register as soon as possible. Please support us by booking early to help us understand the demands and viability.
To register for the masterclass:
- Make the payment of the value of the masterclass: 172,20€ (fully refunded if we cancel or change the date).
- Payment can be completed bank transference using the:
IBAN: PT50 0035 0158 00018441030 71
BIC SWIFT: CGDIPTPL
BANK: CAIXA GERAL DE DEPÓSITOS (CGD)
(for international bank transferences you may need extra information than that provided above. Please get in touch with us via email to firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain this information. Thank you.
- Complete the Application Form available here
- Send an email to email@example.com with the name and date of the event you want to register, the completed registration form, the bank statement proof of payment and your certifcates showing your professional training in MBCT, MBSR or another mindfulness-based intervention program and your contact number to include in your registration.
On the first day you will have to pay lunch and refreshments directly at the venue of the masterclass for a total cost of 30,75€.
After receiving your email we will send you a reply confirming your place with information relating to the event. If you don't receive our reply please contact us.
- If you cancel up to the 1st August 2019 you will receive a full reimbursement of the retreat minus an administration fee of 50 euros plus fee for the international bank transference.
- After 1st August 2019 there will be no reimbursements for cancellations
- If the event is cancelled due to an unexpected reason, Ser Integral: Centro Português de Mindfulness, will provide a reimbursement of 100% of the value paid for the masterclass, however we will not be responsible for any other costs (i.e., travelling and accommodation) associated with your participation in the retreat.
- We recommend that flights are booked after confirmation that we have reached the minimum number of registrations to open the masterclass which will be on 1st August 2019 (until then we reserve the right to cancel or postpone if the course does not reach minimum numbers).
Ser Integral: Portuguese Center for Mindfulness established a collaboration with the group HF Hotels in Porto that will be offering 10% discount on the best available rate at the time of your reservation. You will have 4 hotels available to make your reservation - HP Ipanema Park, HP Ipanema Porto, HP Tuela Porto and HP Fénix Porto. To get access to this discount please book your room using the link: https://foundationmasterclasses.hfhotels.com/