ACTivating Your Practice - An Advanced Acceptance & Commitment Therapy Course
October - December 2024
with Dr Richard Bennett
If you have had some previous training in ACT, you already know that you can engage people in meaningful ways of working. You will have learned that the model offers a way for you to connect with others in ways that are normalising and more in tune with our common humanity. Hopefully this is a powerful driver to learn more, and to fine tune some of your basic ACT skills.
In this advanced course, we wade even deeper into ACT and offer you the chance to learn new skills and exercises, as well as practicing them in a safe and nurturing environment. Now you understand the theory and have some basic techniques in your toolkit, this course will focus on expanding the skills you have, providing you with new ones, and implementing them all in your day-to-day life and work.
This live and synchronous online course will run in two parts, each consisting of a four-session block
During part one (4 x 3 hours) you will:
- Expand your existing knowledge of the ACT model with more advanced techniques for moving psychological flexibility processes, including latest developments in flexible exposure and perspective-taking
- Explore bringing yourself into your work using functional analysis to enhance your self-refective skills and your relationships with your clients
- Deepen your knowledge of the 'Open, Aware, and Active' areas of ACT work, shifting flexibily between different parts of the model
- Observe live demonstrations and practice specific techniques which target shifts in each of the core processes
In part two, we will be ramping up the understanding of theory-practice links and helping you practice more in-depth skills and techniques.
During part two (4 x 3 hours) you will:
- Further explore Relational Frame Theory and its clinical applications
- Develop your skills in functional analysis by applying behavioural principles to the in-session behaviours of both therapists and clients
- Consider methods for delivering ACT to people who we experience as complex or resistant
- Observe live demonstrations and then practice specific techniques in small learning groups
The workshop will be highly interactive, involving a variety of methods including didactic teaching, experiential exercises, group work, and live/video demonstrations of therapeutic interventions. Please note, as the sessions are largely experiential, you will get the most out of them if you attend live and are able to participate in the practical exercises. Whilst the teaching and demonstration parts of the workshop are recorded, the small group practice sessions in the breakout rooms are not.
This workshop is aimed at psychologists, psychiatrists, pedopsychiatrists, other mental health professionals, coaches (psychological coaching) and counsellors. It would be best suited to those who have previously completed some introductory ACT training, and who have experience of using the model in their practice. We will assume that you have knowledge of the ACT model and have used the approach in some of your life and/or work. The basics of theory and practice will not be covered.
The course will be taught in English, without consecutive translation.
DATES & TIME:
Session 1 - 15 October
Session 2 - 22 October
Session 3 - 29 October
Session 4 - 5 November
BREAK FOR INTEGRATION
Session 5 - 26 November
Session 6 - 3 December
Session 7 - 10 December
Session 8 - 17 December
All sessions will take place on tuesday from 5.30pm - 8.30pm (GMT LISBON/LONDON)
PREVIOUS FEEDBACK FOR THE COURSE
"This was the most experiential course I've been on and that made it a great learning experience"
"I feel the sequential development of themes over the weeks, and the growing connections between participants made this a truly rich experience"
"Great to immerse myself in ACT with other ACT practitioners. The format worked well, with a good mix of teaching, demonstrations, and practice"
"Excellent supportive environment to try things out in the service of improving skills"
“This was a really helpful training in ACT. The breakout groups and practical skill building was helpful"
“It’s been great, with lots of opportunities to practice skills and ask questions. I’ve really valued the space to build on my skills and I feel much more confident in using the different elements of the ACT model”
"Very good exercises. Very helpful to understand the material. Very engaging"
“I really appreciated the interactive and experiential nature of the training. The environment felt safe and stimulating”
“Really helpful to practice skills and reflect on them in the session. Great to watch demos first”
“Practicing and role playing was particularly helpful and seeing a real example helped with confidence to give it a go"
“The genuine passion for the subject area helped me get across the ideas behind ACT”
ABOUT THE TRAINER
Richard Bennett works as a Clinical Psychologist and Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist. He is employed as a lecturer in the Centre for Applied Psychology at the University of Birmingham, where he leads the Postgraduate Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for High Intensity Workers. He worked in adult and forensic mental health services in the UK’s National Health Service for over 20 years before setting up Think Psychology, an independent psychology practice offering, therapy, supervision, and training. Richard is also an active member of the Association for Contextual Behavioural Sciences (ACBS) and the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy (BABCP). He is recognised as a BABCP accredited psychotherapist, supervisor and trainer, and an ACBS Peer-reviewed ACT trainer. He is the co-editor of ‘Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy in Sport and Exercise’ and co-author of ‘Acceptance & Commitment Therapy: 100 Key Points and Techniques’, ‘Acceptance & Commitment Therapy: Responses to Frequently Asked Questions’, and ‘The Mindfulness & Acceptance Workbook for Self-Esteem’.
350 euros + 23% VAT = 430,50 euros
We are offering two 50 % Discount Scholarships for registrations from LOW GPD COUNTRIES
Please note that the crucial factor for the reduced Low GDP fee is not the country of origin but the country of residence.
The only countries eligible for the low GDP(Gross Domestic Product) reduction are:
- African countries
- Asian countries (with following exceptions: Bahrain, Brunei Darussalam, Hong Kong SAR, Israel, Japan, Republic of Korea, Kuwait, Macau SAR, Qatar, Singapore, UAE)
- Latin American countries (exception: Bahamas)
- and the following countries in wider Europe:
Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, FYR of Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia,Turkey and Ukraine.
Applications for the LOW GPD FEE are accepted until the 15th July 2024. You should send your application using the details below. We will evaluate all applications by 30th July 2024 and inform if your application for the Scholarship will be accepted.
To apply to the scholarship:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org including:
- The name and date of the event you want to register
- Curriculum Vitae
- Intention letter informing your professional training path and professional experience, experience teaching groups, personal development in the area of mindfulness and motivation to participate in the program. If you are requesting a scholarship please let us know why do you need this financial support.
The limit date for registration is the 20th August 2024. After this date we won’t accept any further registrations.
The number of places is limited, so we advise your registration as soon as possible.
To register in the course:
- Make the payment using the box below (in case you can't vizualize the box of payment please email email@example.com requesting details for payment):
- If you cancel your registration until the 1st September 2024 you will receive a full reimbursement of the payment minus an administration fee of 50 euros plus fee for the international bank transference. After this date we won’t make any reimbursements
- If the event is canceled due to an unexpected reason, Ser Integral: Centro Português de Mindfulness, will provide a reimbursement of 100% of the value paid for the program.
- The course will take place with a minimum and maximum number of participants (limited places available). In the eventuality of the program not having the minimum registrations established Se Integral: Portuguese Center for Mindfulness will have to cancel the event.
- The program is subject to minor changes according to the needs met during the course.