Polishing the Mirror of the Heart
The human heart is a mirror... The heart wants a constant care to keep it from getting rusted, and the rust may be produced as the mere touch of water can produce rust upon iron. - Hazrat Inayat Khan
Love is the source and animating force of the universe, the heart the wellspring and font of this love. And yet...Without constant care, the mirror of the heart can become obscured: sweetness changed to sourness, tenderness to hardness, love to bitterness.
As an antidote to these eroding effects, this course offers a pathway for engaging in the ennobling labor of “polishing.” Fortified by sincerity, vulnerability, and the flame of love, we’ll learn to turn toward the dense, rust producing sources within us. These include: 1) limiting opinions, attitudes, and views about self, others, and the world, 2) accumulated impressions and long-standing habits of mind, and 3) disturbances in the rhythm and tone of our lives. Sobering and healing, when befriended, understood, and used wisely, our conditioned vulnerabilities become polishing agents revealing the natural goodness and transparency of the heart.
So, dear friends, take heart, this is our lineage - the path of love and befriending that human beings across all contemplative traditions have walked for millennia. This course is an invitation to bear witness to ourselves and one another as we engage in guided and silent meditation, structured and spontaneous moments of conversation and inquiry in dyads and small groups, poetry and story, and weekly assignments intended to create an ongoing continuity between sessions.
- Session 1: Thursday, October 12
- Session 2: Thursday, October 19
- Session 3: Thursday, October 26
- Session 4: Thursday, November 2
- Session 5: Saturday, November 4 – 6-hour retreat
- Session 6: Thursday, November 9
All weekly sessions are 1:00-4:00 PM ET, 6:00-9:00 PM Portugal.
Session 5 [retreat] – 7:00 -10:00 AM ET, 12:00 -3:00 PM ET
12-3:00 PM Portugal, 5:00 -8:00 PM Portugal
NOTE: Daylight Savings in the USA changes on Saturday night November 5th.
Session 6 will be the only session affected.
The course will be taught in English, without consecutive translation.
Saki F. Santorelli, EdD, MA is an educator, student of meditation, writer, gardener and pioneer in integrating meditation and mindfulness into medicine, health care, and the broader society. In 2017, he retired as professor of medicine, executive director of the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society (2000-2017), and director of the internationally acclaimed Stress Reduction Clinic (1996-2017) – the clinic of origin of mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) - at the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
His entire forty-year career in medicine and healthcare has been oriented around the integration of mindfulness into public health fueled by an abiding trust in the innate brilliance and nobility of human beings. He has plumbed the nature of the healing relationship by working with thousands of medical patients, educating and mentoring generations of medical students, healthcare professionals, educators, and researchers of mindfulness and MBSR. Through his vision and leadership, the Center for Mindfulness transmitted the ethos, practice, teaching, and science of mindfulness to individuals and organizations around the world.
Saki has been a student in the universal Sufi lineage of Hazrat Inayat Khan for nearly fifty years. In 1980, his teacher, Pir Vilayat Inayat Khan, suggested he also become a student in the Buddhist insight meditation tradition. He did so. A year later, he met Jon Kabat-Zinn. As their decades-long relationship unfolded, they became colleagues, friends, and dharma-brothers transmitting the taste of mindfulness, the fragrance of the Sufi’s, and the vision of a grounded, lively contemplative science and education to people around the planet.Saki teaches, writes, presents workshops, seminars, and leads retreats internationally. He is the author of Heal Thy Self: Lessons on Mindfulness in Medicine now translated into fourteen languages and founder/director of the website and online community, Guest House Awareness.com
WHO SHOULD PARTICIPATE:
Open to all - MBSR graduates, MBP graduates, MBP teachers, MBP teachers in training, health care professionals, and the general public.
Normal Rate: 492 euros (Incl. 23% VAT)
We are offering two 50 % Discount Scholarships.
Please note that the crucial factor for the reduced Low GDP fee is not the country of origin but the country of residence.
The only countries eligible for the low GDP(Gross Domestic Product) reduction are:
- African countries
- Asian countries (with following exceptions: Bahrain, Brunei Darussalam, Hong Kong SAR, Israel, Japan, Republic of Korea, Kuwait, Macau SAR, Qatar, Singapore, UAE)
- Latin American countries (exception: Bahamas)
- and the following countries in wider Europe:
Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, FYR of Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia,Turkey and Ukraine.
Applications for the LOW GPD FEE are accepted until the 1st September 2023. You should send your application using the details below. We will evaluate all applications by 15th September and inform if your application for the Scholarship will be accepted.
To apply to the scholarship:
- Send an email to email@example.com including:
- The name and date of the event you want to register
- Curriculum Vitae
- Intention letter informing your professional training path and professional experience, experience teaching groups, personal development in the area of mindfulness and motivation to participate in the program. If you are requesting a scholarship please let us know why do you need this financial support.
The limit date for registration is the 1st September 2023. After this date we won’t accept any further registrations.
The number of places is limited, so we advise your registration as soon as possible.
To register in the course:
- Make the payment using the box below (in case you can't vizualize the box of payment please email firstname.lastname@example.org requesting details for payment):
- If you cancel your registration until the 1st September 2023 you will receive a full reimbursement of the payment minus an administration fee of 50 euros plus fee for the international bank transference. After this date we won’t make any reimbursements.
- If the event is canceled due to an unexpected reason, Ser Integral: Centro Português de Mindfulness, will provide a reimbursement of 100% of the value paid for the program.
- The course will take place with a minimum and maximum number of participants (limited places available). In the eventuality of the program not having the minimum registrations established Se Integral: Portuguese Center for Mindfulness will have to cancel the event.
- The program is subject to minor changes according to the needs met during the course.